5 Year Writing Goal: December update
I’m taking part in Misha and Beth’s Five Year Project and my five-year goal is to write a novel and get it published.
It’s two years since I joined the project and I feel frustrated because I seem no closer to my goal and I’m still collecting rejections from agents. Nine in total.
Achievements in 2015
But it’s a good idea to look back on my successes. And I’ve had a number this year.
- I’ve had a selection of poems published in an anthology.
- And a short story published too, in another anthology.
- I even had my entry chosen to appear in another compilation: The Best Advice in Six Words, where I appear on the same page as Erica Jong.
- And, I finished the first draft of a YA novel during NaNoWriMo month.
- In addition, I published a short walking booklet, Soggy Socks, on Amazon.
- I’m just completing a MOOC course on Writing for Young Readers.
- And another – and challenging – MOOC earlier this year on Hans Christian Andersen
- I’ve written numerous blog posts, both for this blog and for my coastal walking blog, including a couple of guest posts about walking on commercial sites.
- Oh, and did I mention I’ve finished my BA in Creative Writing at Birkbeck University? Now I have another couple of letters to add to the end of my name!
Not bad for a non-productive year.
Writing Goals for 2016
- Finish my non-fiction book on Coastal Walking and send it for editing.
- Edit the first draft of my YA fiction book.
- Finish the first draft of my booklet on treating blisters.
In addition, I continue to read avidly and am currently researching the art of magic – from a purely scientific perspective, of course.