5 Year Writing Goal: May update
I’m taking part in Misha and Beth’s Five Year Project and my five-year goal is to write a novel and get it published.
For those who have been following my progress, you will know I have finished my novel, The Reluctant Scribe, and have been sending it off to agents. Just after my last update, I received my first rejection. It was polite but firm. The agent did not feel passionate enough about my work to want to take it on. Fair enough. And I am expecting many more.
My aim was to approach a new agent every week. But I’ve found whole process is very time-consuming. Each agency has different requirements. Some want the first 3 chapters, some want the first 30 or 50 pages, while some want the first 10,000 words. And each one requires a rejigging of the synopsis, which I have had to rework more times than I ever wanted to – from over 4 pages in length down to 400 words.
And some want the covering letter as a separate attachment, while others want it in the body of the email.
Of course, everything has to be beautifully written and checked for errors.
So, the whole process is highly stressful, and I haven’t managed to keep pace with one new submission a week. Walking expeditions and bank holidays got in the way!
Anyway, here is my latest tally:
Agents approached so far = 5
Requests for whole manuscript = 0
Rejections so far = 1